Saturday, December 24, 2011

"The Light of Christmas"



Cultivate complacency
But isolate integrity;
Trample down what little
Hope of righteousness remains, until

In bleakened, strangled, starving moans,
it passes from this life,
unmourned.

Left alone now,
idle thoughts grow;
weeds in virgin soil
unchecked.

Hope is such a painful word --
Too much effort,
    too much toil.

So like the toy in young man's closet,
Left to gather cloak of dust,
Leave it now,
Forsake it
to the junkyard
of my cluttered mind.

All that is, or was, or will be,
Hopelessness cares not for this.
Journey now in desolation;
Wander in the darkest pit

of Hell

until, in blinding flashes,
Light surrounds me,
Searching, probing,

finding now a weakness
in the hardness of
my heart's defenses;
gently shining light
into the darkest corners of
My soul.

Now in sudden self-awareness,
Sin I see as ne'er before,
Touching every fiber
of my prideful, unrepentant soul.

Now upon my knees I fall;
In sorrow deep I lift my voice.
I cry out to the One whose birth
made possible this
Blessed Light.

I cry to Jesus,
Son of Mary,
Born in lowly
manger stall.

I cry to Jesus,
Son of David,
Son of God,
Immanuel.

8 Kevin Ness

No comments:

Post a Comment